So, you’ve started wedding planning and have no idea where to start with hiring a photographer. I get it! It’s stressful because this person will be a huge part of your day, and you want to make sure you pick the perfect person for you.
I always encourage couples to interview a few wedding photographers before committing to one. You want to make sure this person makes you feel comfortable and will give you exactly what you want on your special day! Here is a list of questions to ask your wedding photographer when you interview them. Before interviewing a photographer, check out their website to see if you can answer any of these questions on your own. At a minimum, you should be able to find their galleries to take a look at their style of photography!
- Is my wedding date available?
- Will you have any assistants with you on our wedding day?
- How long have you been shooting weddings? How many weddings have you photographed?
- Do you often shoot weddings that have a similar size and style to the one we are planning?
- Can we see the full galleries of a few of your recent weddings?
- Have you ever shot a wedding at our ceremony and reception venues? If not, do you plan to check the venues out in advance?
- Have you ever worked with our planner? Videographer? Florist? DJ?
- How would you describe your wedding photography style?
- How would you describe your working style? Do you prefer to blend into the background to capture candid moments, or do you like to be more visible and take charge to choreograph images?
- What is included in your standard package? What add-ons do the more expensive packages include?
- Can I customize a package to fit my needs?
- Do you include engagement photos in your packages? What about pre-wedding events like rehearsal dinners?
- How many hours are included in each package? How much do extra hours cost?
- Do you offer retouching, color adjustment, or other corrective services? Are those included or an additional charge?
- Do you charge a travel fee? For what distance? What does that cover?
- Can we order prints or albums directly from you?
- What type of album do you offer? Do you provide assistance selecting images and designing the album?
- Are albums or prints included in your packages? How many pages or prints are included, and what is the turnaround time?
- How long after the wedding will we receive the images? How will they be delivered?
- Will we have the rights to the images?
- Will we receive the negatives and/or high-resolution digital images? Is there a fee for that?
- Will the images be accessible online? For how long?
- When will we receive the contract?
- How much of a deposit do you require? When is it due?
- Do you accept payments in installations?
- What is your refund or cancellation policy?
- Do you have liability insurance? Does it cover your assistants, as well?
- Do you carry backup equipment?
- What is the backup plan if you are unable to shoot my wedding for an unexpected reason?
- Will you be posting about our wedding on your website and social media? Will you be submitting our photos to magazines or blogs?
And there you go! A full list of questions to ask your wedding photographer. After the photographer answers these questions, you’ll know for sure if he/she is right for you. Don’t be afraid to interview a few photographers. Everyone is different, and you want to make sure you vibe with them. They’ll be a huge part of your big day! If you’re interested in booking a discovery call with me, you can do so here. I look forward to meeting you!
About Harry McLaughlin Photography
I take pride in creating a fun environment and connecting with vendors so that everything can run smoothly on your big day. I’ll be with you every step of the way. From engagement shoots to day-of photos, you can rest easy knowing I’ll give you the photos you’ve always dreamed of. When you book with me, you’ll get a custom experience unlike any other. Let’s create special moments together! Fill out this form to get started.
I was excited to uncover this page. I wanted to thank you for your time for this particularly fantastic read!! I definitely loved every little bit of it and I have you saved as a favorite to look at new stuff on your blog.